First off, we get to the campsite and, as any son would do, he took off! He was in kid heaven. Wide open fields, kids running around, and a clear path to the campfire. I knew I was in trouble and prayed that Sam's guardian angels were up to the task at hand.
I set up the tent and after I put all of our stuff inside, I look over and Sam is putting long sticks in the fire and pulling them out to see the flame. I thought to myself, "Great, I have a little pyro." Those genes, I confess, come from me. Let's just say it's pay back for what I put my dad through. I couldn't blame Sam for being so enthralled with the flame. It's quite fun. However, the father in me kicked in and I ran over to get him. The kid in me taught him how to more safely put sticks in the fire.
Anyway, Sam had a very good time with his friend Ethan. They wrestled constantly, kicked a ball around, and went hiking in areas they didn't belong. Sam went out of his way to do exactly the opposite of what I told him to do. The kid would not stay by me. I finally gave in and let him run around without supervision. Dumb. One parent came to me with a crying boy. He said Sam was by himself crying for his dad. Talk about feeling guilty. I made sure Sam was next to me the rest of the night.
Sam was very excited to be sleeping in the tent. He actually went down to sleep very easily. However, at about 3 a.m., I accidentally woke Sam up. Our conversation, in which he was speaking very loud, went as followed: "Dad, I love camping." "I do too Sam." "I love sleeping in the big tent." "Good idea." "Dad, you lost me." "Sorry about that Sam." "Dad, you went to the restroom." "Is there a reason you wanted to publicly state that?" "Dad, I am sleeping." "I swear I am speaking to you right now." And so on....for about a half hour.
The morning was great. Sam had a good breakfast and he caught up with Ethan again to cause havoc. While I took down camp I noticed Sam and Ethan a far off playing with something. I looked closer and noticed it was a faucet that tapped into an underground well. Of course, they turned the water on and got completely soaked. By that time I was too tired and sleep deprived to care.
So what did I take away from the experience? I would say it was worth it. I love that kid and the trip reminded me of how lucky I am to be a parent and to have the family I have. Okay guardian angels, we are home safely. Go get some rest.
Unpacking the gear
Testing out the sleeping bag
Sam & his best buddy Ethan
Running away from Dad
Playing by the campfire
Running, running, and more running!
Sammy & Me
2 comments:
HAHAHAHA Matt told me about that conversation you had with Sam. That kid is a hoot. I bet Ty would have been following right along. Too bad Matt and Ty couldn't join you. Next time for sure...
It's tough being a single parent huh!
LOVE THIS!!!! Reading about your experience Ryan made my day :) Just wait until Austin joins in on the fun in a year or two...
Post a Comment