Sunday, November 21, 2010

Baby Walker #2 progress and What a 2 yr old does all day.

Well, it has been a few weeks since my last post.  We haven't had any great adventures lately, but we are getting ever closer to baby walker #2 being here.  Here is the update on our pregnancy.  

Two weeks ago (36 weeks along) my doctor said I was measuring on the small side, but still in the normal range.  No big deal.  One week ago, (37 weeks along) I hadn't gained any weight and my tummy didn't grow since the previous appointment.  My doctor was concerned this might be an indicator of a bigger problem, so she ordered an ultrasound to check his amniotic fluid.  Since I hadn't had an ultrasound at this office before (because we were in Utah) they checked him from head to toe.  Having an ultrasound at 37 weeks is much different than at 20 weeks.  He is fully developed and a lot bigger, so you can see so much more.  I got to see his little fingers and toes and the ultrasound tech even declared "Look! That dark shady stuff is his hair!  He has lots of HAIR!"  I love how surprised she was.  Sammy practically needed a haircut when he was born so I was not exactly shocked at the news :)  The other major difference is he is so much heavier.  My arm kept falling asleep because I was laying flat on my back for too long.  

Anyway, back to the story.  They checked everything out and found (a) He is small...only about 5.5 lbs which puts him in the 33rd percentile (b) his abdomen is extra small (5th percentile) and (c) they couldn't really get a good view of an important blood vessel that connects his lungs to his heart.  On the screen it looked a little kinked and the doctor thought this could be why he wasn't growing well.  Just to be sure (as always) I got to head across the river to Portland to the children's hospital for another ultrasound, this time just on his heart.  Major arm falling asleep ensued (i.e. it took forever).  A few hours later, the specialist pronounced the blood vessel to be fine although she wants to take another look at his aorta (impressed with my medical lingo? Me too!) after he is born because it looks kind of narrow at one point.  Good news, I didn't have to have the baby that night or at the Children's hospital.  Bad news, still not sure why he isn't growing well.  

This week (38 weeks along) I gained a few pounds but didn't get much bigger around my tummy.  The plan now is next Friday, November 26th I will have another ultrasound.  If the doctors are not convinced he is growing well enough, I will get to be induced that day.  If he does grow (which Ryan and I are hoping...) my due date is December 4th.

In the meantime I am trying to put my feet up and rest as much as possible so he can grow.  Sammy and I watch lots of cartoons and read lots of books on the couch together.  Ryan is amazing and picks up a lot of my slack on housework like dishes and things.  Our ward is super awesome and has brought us really yummy meals so we don't have to live off of quesadillas and mac & cheese.

I posted the pictures the tech printed off of my ultrasound and some cute pictures of Sam playing from the past few weeks.  Enjoy!


This is baby's cute face.  You can kind of see his hair too.


Here is his profile.  Even though he is bigger, it is still rather fuzzy.


Sammy loves to play with "Mr. Tato-head".  Personally, I love his picasso style.


He calls this his "Moose-Tash".


Our other new favorite activity is playdough.  Sam's specialties are "Wormies" and pancakes.


Background...Sam found the wrapping paper in the closet while I was working on the computer.  He spread it out and ran across it for about 20 minutes straight.  Who needs expensive toys?  This paper cost me $1 last Christmas and it kept him entertained way longer than anything else.


Sammy loves his smoothies.  Maybe a little too much?  I love his cheesy grin.


And finally...tah dah!  Sammy's big boy bed with his complete entourage!  Every naptime and bedtime he requires Mr. Bearykins, Baby Bear, George (formerly known as Troubles), and at least 2 or 3 cars.  Sometimes he tries to sneak in more (see above), but I draw the line with a few cars next to his pillow.  We switched him to his big bed when we moved to Washington.  I will be honest, I was the only one who cried at the transition.  Sam loves his bed and his room and actually gets excited to take naps and go to bed.  Who knew?

Well, that is what is happening now.  Our next post will hopefully be of a new baby!

3 comments:

Mickie and Matt said...

Oh lets hope for growth from Baby Walker #2! It's I little nerve wracking but some what comforting to know you have an awesome hospital in Portland so close by.

I was wondering the other day what parents to that dont have an awesome hospital like Primary Children's around when things arent going exactly right.

P.S. My older sister always has that same thing happen to her, and all her kids were small but healthy. She just didnt grow the last 4 weeks at all and neither did her kiddos.

We'll be thinking about you guys :) Hopefully it's cute baby pictures next post! We can't wait.

Jon and Allison said...

I love how Sam knows he has a sense of humor! What an adorable 2yr old hamming it up for the camera/video.

Andi said...

How scary for you! I hope everything is okay. It's fun to find your blog and keep up with you.