Saturday, October 16, 2010

Mystery of the Disappearing Vegetables

This fall I decided I was going to put an end to my black thumb of death curse and try to grow some cool-weather vegetables.  (Just as background, I have killed every plant we have ever had that was not being taken care of by professionals.  Hence the black thumb.  I can keep kids alive, just not plants.)  We picked some up cabbage, broccoli, chives, and mixed lettuce starters from our farmers market for a good price and planted them in one of our flower beds.  

Fast forward 3 weeks.  Our little plants are growing well thanks to lots of rain and plenty of sunshine.  Every morning I open our blinds and look out at the two rows of plants with satisfaction that I managed to keep them alive another day.  Until one day.  I open the blinds and glance over and see this.


Can't see anything?  That's because there is nothing there.  Just little stumps.  My whole two rows of plants are gone down to the stems except for the chives (too garlicky?) and part of the cabbage.  Some are even pulled up out of the ground.   What on earth happened!?!  I am the only one allowed to kill these little plants!  Upon further investigation, I find several little holes in the ground like this one.


I know there are moles here because I have seen little mounds in the neighbors yard.  Could baby moles have done all this damage in one night?  Perhaps.  I keep looking and find a gigantic feather.


Now I have to confess I have a slightly morbid thought.  Maybe baby moles were eating my plants last night and then a giant hawk or eagle swooped down and carried them off.  Satisfied with my discoveries, I go back inside. 

Later that day Ryan, Sammy, & I are getting ready for dinner when we look out the windows and see the real culprit munching on our grass.  Who knew we lived at La Caille?  


Well, apparently we have a new pet peacock.  He came back over the fence today to finish off the cabbage and strut around the yard.  Sammy just runs after him squealing "peacock!" until he gets too close and then he runs back into the house yelling "Mommy, Mommy, MOMMY!".  He obviously belongs to somebody because he is not afraid of us (specifically Sam) at all.  Any suggestions on names?  How do you get rid of a peacock?  I want to have a real garden next spring and summer and I can't have him eating the entire thing overnight.  Help!

3 comments:

Mickie and Matt said...

What the Peacock? A peacock as a PET no less? I have no idea WHAT you should do, that's crazy I have never even heard of that. I asked Matt he said "You shoot it, like you would do with any other bird" Right well I wouldnt suggest that...

I am jealous you got to plant some veggies though! A garden that's awesome.

How is the pregnancy coming? About another month and your done right?

R Walker Fam said...

Ryan & I laughed so hard when we read Matt's suggestion. If I could, I would. Believe me. After I wrote the post today the bird came back and hung out in our yard for at least an hour.

Pregnancy is going really well, I'm just uncomfortable on account of getting bigger by the day :) Luckily it will all be over in about 7 weeks. Hooray!

Christi Ellis said...

Oh my gosh I never would have guessed a peacock!?! Yeah good luck trying to figure out how to get rid of it.